Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Random - Trash or Treasure?

Just about every other week I get a phone call asking me if I have any old clothes, toys, shoes, or small appliances that I can donate....and most times I try to come up with something. I cleaned out my closet at the beginning of the year so I actually had a couple of bags ready to go. Well - I got another call today; this time from "Prevent Blindness". The man on the other end of the phone line (I could tell was an older gentleman) was probably volunteering so I couldn't help but say "yes, I'll find something to set out for the truck to pick up". I am glad that I can contribute to these non-profit organizations and I would suggest that everyone who can - does - as often as possible.
As I hung up the phone I thought - how much do I really have that is disposable? What can I so easily give up that someone else will appreciate? Of course - in the beginning I was focused on material things...and even that made me realize how blessed I am. But then as I sat here a little longer, my thought process turned into something I didn't expect. How often do we treat relationships as disposable? As if we can manage just as easily without friendships that we've invested much time into. There are people out there that just need a friend. I don't think you can have too many. Think twice before you set your relationships on the front porch for someone else...you may regret it later.

No comments: